Friday, September 16, 2011

Days 5 & 6 in Jinja

Yesterday we went to Amani Baby Cottage and delivered a package to Margaret Shores (CPA alumni).  I have heard so much about Amani and love so many children that now live in our community that have come from Amani.  Amani's facilities are AMAZING!  Like nothing I've seen in Jinja.  All the children were sleeping so we will return to play with them another day.

After Amani Baby Cottage, our driver Wilson (my 3rd favorite Ugandan - only to Abigail and Peter) took us to some tourist type locations.  We stopped at the source of the Nile River and it was very beautiful there.  We also went to Bujagali Falls.  This place was like NOTHING I have ever seen.  The rapids were amazing and there several of them all close together - BREATH-TAKING.  I'm really glad we went to these places and were able to see more of the beauty in God's creation.  
                                                                   Source of the Nile
                                                   Bujagali Falls

The highlight of my day was visiting Ekisa.  This place is unbelievable.  What these two young girls and their small army of volunteers do for the least of these is beyond a calling.  It is more like a place of miracles.  I can't do it justice with words but to see children with physical and mental disabilities thriving in Uganda was an incredible experience.  We will definitely be returning to play with the children there.  Abigail liked being there and watched everyone with her discerning "serious" stare :)  Many of you have heard of Ekisa but in case you haven't  I'm going to give you the link to their site as well...   http://ekisainternational.blogspot.com/
                                              Abigail's new friends at Ekisa

So while at Ekisa I got a call from Peter (my hands and feet in Uganda) that he had gotten into contact with the probation officer about a document we needed to take to the US Embassy the next day.  We had arranged for Abdullah, a driver, to pick us up at 6am and I needed to cancel that if we could not obtain the form.  Peter said the Probation Officer could give us the form if we could come to his office in 5 minutes.  Hmmm glad Ugandan time isn't like American time because we were a good 20 minutes away.

Life with a 1 year old is not exactly like riding a bike heehee.  Remembering they need to eat at certain times each day is important,  so as we went through town Wilson dropped me and the girls off at a restaurant because it was Abigail's dinner time and he took Mike on to the office to get the document we needed to take to the Embassy. 

Now, I'm not sure if I told you about my first experience in Uganda with a power outage but just so you know, it involved me in a kitchen with bottles in boiling water on the stove, me the ONLY person awake in the house, turned around reading the bible on a counter waiting for the boiling water etc, when all of a sudden it was PITCH BLACK! The kind of darkness where you become so disoriented you freeze.  I stood perfectly still for fear of bumping into the stove with the boiling water and it was my first time in the kitchen so I couldn't even remember which way to the door.  I literally stood there frozen whispering "Mike", "Mike" Thank the Lord my Knight in shining Armour rescued me (again).  I was so relieved when I heard him fumbling down the stairs to "save me".  SOOOO, it was much better for me when the lights went out the second time because I was with Abi and Kenzie AND we were in a public restaurant, with a guard outside and where the staff immediately lit candles. SO, when the boys returned to the restaurant we had a nice candlelit meal while Abigail slept.



Today we left home early to make it to Kampala on time. The trip to Kampala  took a little longer than 2 hours and the time in the US Embassy was less than 15 minutes hahaha).  2 hours later we were back in Jinja having lunch in the garden at a local place called Flavors. YEP 4+ hours in the car... with out a car seat and only 15 minutes to get the paper we needed from the Embassy hahaha.  Oh well, Abigail kept us laughing ALL day.  Have I told y'all that Baby Sister is HYSTERICAL? Because she is!  Once home we all took a much needed nap while a strong breeze blew through the open door and windows.... LITERALLY MY FAVORITE PART OF EVERY DAY! 
                                               Abigail helping Abdullah navigate Kampala
                                             Thinking of more ways to make us laugh
                                                     Lunch in the garden at Flavors

Tonight, Sarah, that lives in the house behind ours and takes care of our house, prepared Matoke and Gnut for us.  It is Abigail's favorite dish so Jackie & Chris (the couple we share a home with) our family and Carol (15 yr old Ugandan neighbor girl that LOVES Abigail) ate together.  Matoke is a plantain (type of banana) and Gnut is a peanut sauce.  It tasted like well flavored potatoes to me :) After dinner we ALL played on the porch with Sarah's twins and her son.  Mama Night joined us on the porch for lots of laughter. 

Abigail was beyond tired when we finally came to our room for the night and went fast asleep listening to a lullaby CD  :) Mmmmmm sweet baby is sleeping IN OUR ROOM ... IN UGANDA... We REALLY have her!!!  Thank you Jesus for this most precious gift!

Tomorrow we will spend the day with Katie Davis at her feeding program.... SO EXCITED!!!!  Then Sarah and Night are taking me to the market to buy some gifts for Abigail's grandparents.  That trip is scheduled for Sunday so Please keep us in your prayers. 
I CAN'T BELIEVE MY LIFE AND OUR NEW DAUGHTER! 
BLESSINGS ABOUNDING IN AFRICA!
Love from Uganda!!!

PS: Sorry I keep writing so many boring details.  I am writing this blog for our sons and extended family that want to hear EVERY detail of our days.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment