Thursday, October 6, 2011

Catch Up Time... Sorry I'm a Blog Slacker!

I am sorry for being a blog slacker!  It is more and more difficult to find the time and especially the words to adequately express what is happening here and how we are doing.

I have been struggling with what I think is a sinus infection for many days.  Abigail is doing FANTASTIC!  Tina is making friends and enjoying her surroundings and has been a life saver for me.

Abigail received her Visa to travel to the US on her first birthday 9/30. So with the last trip to Kampala and the last of the "adoption" To Do List complete we have truly been living life here in Masese, Jinja.  We have filled our days with visiting friends, baby homes, Amazima, church, good food and time at the clinic.  Here are some of the highlights of our last 6 days...

Friday 9/30 - Last trip to Kampala it was a LONG one due to traffic but we got the visa!

Saturday 10/1 - Tina, Abigail and I went to breakfast at Sergio's guesthouse and then to Amazima to play with the kids.  We left with Auntie Shana and the 11 oldest Davis girls.  All the girls except Prossy went to a "fun-day" activity at church.  Prossy, Tina, Me, Abigail and Shanna had a nice late lunch at the Keep.  Prossy is a beautiful girl inside and out.  I'm so glad we had this time with her.




Sunday 10/2 - We attended church in the morning.  It was beautiful to worship again outside in the warm air with the breeze blowing!  It was an emotional time for me as I realized that day would be my last at that Church. After Church we went to the Clinic for Abigail to play and Tina ended up helping with the "charting" duties by weighing the children.  My heart ached for my friend as she gently picked up the small frames and tried to comfort the smallest children as she placed them on the scale.  This was HARD for Tina and many tears were shed during and after that experience. She is a wonderful woman of God and I am honored to be her friend.  I am glad we are doing life in the hard places together.  You see, this is not just a "clinic" it is more like an ICU ward for ACUTE Malnourished children.  There are 2 and 3 year olds that are mere skeletons and look to be newborns.  At this clinic babies are sick, some of them die (6 have passed away since I have been here), mothers grieve, workers get little sleep, healing takes place for many and their bodies are restored and they return to their villages.  At this Clinic the Lord is worshiped in song, devotions and prayers.  It is going to be hard to leave these people and this place!


Monday 10/3 - We went to visit some schools in Masese.  We visited a Primary school (Shafik attends this school).  It is amazing how well behaved these student were.  The headmaster took us on a tour.  One statement he made that will stay with us forever is "We believe that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom".  This school is doing an exceptional job with very limited resources.  They are in need of a kitchen, a clinic or "sick bay" and stationary (notebooks, teacher books, text books etc).

We also visited a Secondary school.  It was an all girls school.  Peter, my hands and feet in Uganda, was with us and his former Head Master is the Head Master of this girls boarding school.  It was SO fun to see Peter giddy at the reunion with his mentor and friend.  The Head Master asked me about what I did at the school where I work and then promptly asked me to speak to the girls at his school to motivate them as they near Exams.  He scheduled us to return Thursday at 2pm!  He said "I think 2 hours should be enough... Hahahahaha... I said "ummmmm 30 minutes is MORE than enough!"  I am excited and nervous about this opportunity but mostly I'm praying the Lord will use it for His Glory!


After the school visits we began decorating and baking for the Birthday Bash.  Abigail's Best Friend and sister for 11 months, Selah, turned 2 the day before Abigail turned 1 so we hosted a party for the pair.  It was a GREAT party and I am so glad we did it!





Tuesday 10/4 - We traveled with Chris, Jackie and Pastor Happy to a village where a "graduate" of the clinic lives.  Chakool is 3 years old and still doesn't walk.  Chris built him a "walker" to help him to strengthen his legs and being waling on his own.  Abigail LOVED the time the walker was at our home and so it was fun to have her "demonstrate" for Chakool what he was supposed to do with the contraption.  Seeing her in those silver shiny shoes walking in the muddy village to the cheers of our group and the village children was a sight I will remember forever.  Chakool wasn't as excited about the walker but did try it and I believe with practice he will be walking soon!




After the village we ate with Chris and Jackie at a very nice restaurant called 2 Friends.  It was a fun meal with a great couple that have chosen to live in Uganda for at least a year to serve the Lord!  I am so grateful to have spent the last month with them. 


Wednesday 10/5 - We visited 2 baby homes on Wednesday and also went to look at an apartment for a friend that is moving here soon.  The work that is done in the name of Jesus in this city is UNBELIEVABLE.  The love that is shown to the least of these is inspiring.




Tina and I were having a conversation with a new friend about Ugandans and we have decided this is a culture of LOVE.  These people live in community at all times and I will MISS THIS SO MUCH!  I am ready to come home to my family and friends but tears come often these past days as I think of leaving my Ugandan friends and family! Please pray for us as we have one day left then we travel to Entebbe on Saturday and start our journey home.

Love From Uganda!

Abigail playing in a rain puddle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment